CAF Champions League – Group C – Day 2: Esperance ST – Sudan’s Al Hilal SFC 1-3CAF Champions League: Kamaradini spares Medeama blushes with late goal

Esperance Sportive de Tunis conceded defeat to Sudan's Al Hilal SFC 1-3, in a CAF Champions League Group C day-2 game, played on Friday. Al Hilal SFC's goals were scored by Yassine Merieh, Mohamed Abdel Raman and Pape Ndiaye. EST's goal was scored by Kebba Sowe. After this defeat, EST now share the lead of the group with Al Hilal SFC and Angolan Petro Atlético. Kamaradini Mamudu's late goal saved the day for Medeama SC who were on the brink of dropping vital points in their match day two clash with RC Belouizdad at the Baba Yara Stadium. The Algerian side took the lead from the spot after 39 minutes, giving Medeama a daunting task to accomplish against a disciplined side. After conceding three unanswered goals against Al Ahly in the first match of the campaign, Medeama had no choice but to win to stay in the competition. They, indeed, fought from behind to beat the Algerians 2:1 thanks to Mamudu's late winner. The visitors started the match on the front foot, winning two corners under one minute but failed to make the opportunities count. They continued to dominate the early exchanges, keeping Medeama in their own half in the opening five minutes. But it was Medeama who came close to breaking the deadlock against the run of play on the eighth minutes when Kamaradini Mamudu's header hit the woodwork. Buoyed by that effort, Medeama for the first time took cont rol of the game and played like the home team as they exerted their authority. Derrick Fordjour failed to put his side ahead in the 23rd minute when he dashed into the box after making light work on his marker - only to shoot wide with the keeper at his mercy. As the home fans grew in confidence and expectant of the opener, Medeama conceded a penalty after Emmanuel Cudjoe brought down Ishak Talal in the box. The nimble footed attacker skilfully dribbled two opponents before he was brought down by Cudjoe, leaving Gambian referee Lamin Jammeh no choice but to point to the spot for a penalty. Abdelraof Benguit converted the opportunity to give his side the lead. The Yellow and Mauves would, however, pull parity five minutes later through Daniel Lomotey who connected home a free kick on the edge of the box by Mamudu. Four additional minutes signalled by referee Jammeh saw both teams raiding each other's half but they ended the half one goal apiece. Determined to make their home advantage count, Medeama sta rted the second half piling incessant pressure on their guests, forcing them to commit blunders at the rear. The home fans called for a penalty 15 minutes into the half when Fordjour was brought down in the box, but referee Jammeh would have none of that. With 20 minutes left, Coach Marcos Paqueta made four substitutions to strengthen an obvious fatigued team. The changes almost yielded results on the 73rd but for a stunning save by goalkeeper Felix Kyei following a counter break. As Medeama probed for the winner, Belouizdad resorted to counter attacking, which was working perfectly for them as the 90th minute approached. The Ghanaian champions, however, had other ideas as they left it late to snatch the three maximum points from the jaws of the Chababists. Four minutes into the nine additional minutes, Mamudu headed home a scintillating cross from the right by Kwadwo Amoako, breaking the hearts of the visitors at the death. The results keep Medeama in the race for qualification from Group D. Source : Ghana News Agency